St. Patrick’s Day celebrations are a big deal in Ireland but also in major US cities like New York or Chicago. Irish or not, millions of people attend the parades or join the fun by wearing green, dressing up like leprechauns or enjoying a few pints of beer at the local pub.
The joyous atmosphere becomes impossible to resist and offers professional and amateur photographers alike a great photo shoot opportunity. For an extra bit of fun, you can quickly turn the occasion into an almost instant photo exhibition to show off to friends and family. All you need is your camera or smart phone, good quality photo paper and a printer.
For a combination of output quality, versatility and affordability we highly recommend the Royal Brites matte photo paper – a heavyweight quality paper with photo coating on both sides which makes it great for laser and inkjet printing. Laser prints will look satin and inkjet prints will have a velvety look. This matte paper renders the colors in much more vibrant tones than uncoated matte papers do. Due to the special coating, water drops that may accidentally touch the printed paper do not cause ink smearing.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind for a great photo shoot session:
- Consider your location and plan accordingly. Your set-up and camera needs will be different depending on where you’ll be shooting your photos. If your focus is on a parade, use longer lens and large aperture cameras to help eliminate distracting backgrounds. Consider becoming part of the actual parade for capturing best shots and get there early, the closer you are to the action the better the photos.
- Tell a story. Walk your photo viewers through the experience – tell them what being there looked, felt, smelled and tasted like.
- Try different angles. Move around and switch angles constantly – climb on chair, fences or bar tops for high angle shots and don’t hesitate to sit on the ground or on your knees, especially when photographing children.
- Bring a friend. While you focus on your photo subjects, you risk not paying attention to what else is happening around you. Bumping into objects or other people bumping into you can ruin a great shot so bringing someone along as a buffer will come in handy.
Once you’ve edited and selected your favorite photos you are ready to print them. Use one of the best matte photo papers around, Royal Brites Premium Matte Photo Paper. It prints beautifully on both sides and works in both laser and inkjet printers to suit a variety of personal and professional uses. Matte photos are instant-drying once they come out of the printer and they are resistant to ink smudges and fingerprints.
Matte photo paper is a heavyweight quality paper coated on both sides, which means it can be used as a multipurpose paper and is great for projects like making cards, matte photos and school or business presentations.
“Why would I choose the matte photo paper over standard inkjet paper?” you may ask.
- Because of the print quality! Matte photo paper is coated with an inkjet photo coating that renders the colors in much more vibrant tones. The ink gets into the coating and the result bears no contest to the standard paper.
- Matte photo paper is a premium paper, heavyweight and it can be printed on both sides with excellent results.
- Due to the special coating, water drops that may accidentally touch the printed paper do not affect the print.
One obvious characteristic of matte photo paper is that it is not as sensitive to fingerprints or liquid stains as glossy paper. As a result, matte photo paper is an ideal choice for all-purpose cards such as business cards, 2UP invitations, panel cards, 4UP post cards, note cards, place cards, gift tags, mini cards and more. Geographics.com offers a free software available at www.clicknprintgeo.com which can help you get all the above done easily.
There are many practical advantages to using photo paper with a matte finish. It may make a big difference in a presentation or a display that involves photos. From a distance, standard glossy photos may produce glare due to reflection from light sources. Matte photo paper is designed to keep your photos glare-free without sacrificing color quality like standard printer paper would.
One of the best matte photo papers around is the Royal Brites heavyweight 9 to 10 mil premium matte photo paper. It prints beautifully on both sides and works in both laser and inkjet printers to suit a variety of personal and professional uses. Matte photos are instant-drying once they come out of the printer and they are resistant to ink smudges and fingerprints. Royal Brites Matte photo paper also comes in 12”x12” as Digital Scrapbooking Photo Paper. This means you can print your scrapbook layouts, pictures, tags and everything on both sides of a 12”x12” matte photo paper sheet and just bind the sheets together to make a great album.
You can also make the same type of album using the 8.5”x11” matte photo paper in a landscape orientation. Remember those old albums with vellum separators between the sheets? You just need to be artsy enough to make a nice back and front cover to it. Matte photos display very well in scrapbook and photo albums (they take the glue better than the glossy papers), and they do very well under glass since matte paper does not stick to the glass like the glossy paper. If you want to have glossy framed photos, use matte photo paper under a glass since the glass will give it a gloss.
We recommend that you buy matte photo paper made in the USA – you’ll get great quality photos from practiced, trustworthy brands and be supporting US business at the same time!