Today’s job market is competitive. If you’re searching for a new career, you need to make sure that you stand out from the rest of the pack. Your resume is often the first impression that potential employers get of you. Taking a few steps to ensure your resume shines may be the best way to get the coveted interview. Follow these five steps and watch the calls roll in:
- Pick the right paper: Most job seekers are printing their resumes on standard copy paper. When all these resumes are in a pile on the HR manager’s desk, they blend together. Use high-quality letterhead paper for your resume. Not only can you choose a color other than white that is still professional, but your resume will have a different texture and weight than the others. It will stand out in the sea of resumes being reviewed.
- Double and triple check your contact information: This may seem obvious, but it is easier than one may think to type a “2” instead of a “5” in your phone number or an “e” rather than an “r“ in your email address. The entire body of your resume can be perfect, but if your contact information is flawed, the rest of your resume is useless.
- Use keywords: This is increasingly important in our digital world. Many companies are searching for job candidate’s online using keywords and phrases. Including relevant keywords in your resume ensures that you will be found in online searches.
- Highlight achievements: There are obvious responsibilities that come along with certain job positions. The HR manager reviewing your resume understands this and is looking to know what you achieved at your previous jobs rather than just the responsibilities you held. Your achievements are one more way to distinguish what makes you different from other applicants.
- Only list relevant work experience: If you are applying for a senior executive position at an investment firm, the summer you spent as a lifeguard at the community pool is not relevant to your prospective employer. Other types of jobs do not need to be listed unless they somehow provided you with skills needed to do your desired job.
Now that you are armed with these tips, open your resume and perfect it using professional letterhead and the iClickn’Print Design Center. Good luck on your job search!