- Chocolate rum cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- ¼ cup dry instant espresso coffee
- ½ cup boiling water
- Cold water
- 1/cup Myer’s Dark Rum
- ½ pound sweet butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1/3 cup Myer’s Dark Rum
Don’t forget to choose from our collection of delicate paper doilies and placemats and give your cake an extra festive look.Buy Royal Lace Paper Doilies
- Adjust rack one-third up from the bottom of the oven and preheat to 325°. Choose a 9 inch Bundt pan or any other turban tube pan (10 cup capacity). Butter the pan well, then dust the whole inside of the pan with fine, dry plain bread crumbs. Shake out any excess crumbs and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a small double boiler or microwave on low setting. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a 2 cup glass measuring jug dissolve the coffee in the boiling water. Add cold water to the 1 ½ cup line. Add ½ cup of Dark Rum. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, add the vanilla and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth. Add chocolate and beat to mix well.
- Adjust the machine to low speed, add the dry ingredients and the coffee/rum liquid alternately and gradually to avoid splashing. Scrape the bowl with a spatula, and beat until smooth.
- Put into pan, smooth the top to make level.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Test for doneness with a cake tester or a long thin barbecue stick and bake only until the tester comes out clean and dry.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then cover with a rack and invert. Remove the pan. Using a pastry brush or any 1 inch bristle paint brush, paint the cake with the extra 1/3 cup of dark rum, it will absorb completely. Leave the cake on the rack to cool.
- Serve the cake plain or make it even more delicious with coffee flavored whipped cream.